Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Trunk or Treat

As it is now September, I am deep in thought about what to do for Halloween this year.  It's my favorite holiday and I'm always trying to come up with fun things for the youth to do at their party.  I am also trying to come up with ideas for our annual "Trunk or Treat" that our church puts on.  For those of you who have never heard of this, it's a safer alternative to trick-or-treating in the neighborhood.  All you do is gather a group of cars in a large parking lot, decorate your trunk, and hand out candy. This is only the 3rd year our church has participated in this activity, but I try to outdo myself in coming up with ideas for us to decorate our car each year.  The first year, since we weren't really sure what to do, we did a monster car.




 Hubby did a REALLY good job bringing the vision to life!  Last year we went a little crazier and took a lot more time to prepare!  We decided to make our car into a dragon.  I would be a damsel in distress and he would be my knight coming to slay the dragon! 


The legs, head, fire, and wing outline are all cardboard.  Hubby had too much fun with this one!  He drew and cut out all the pieces and we spray painted them green.  Of course, we had to hand paint all the little details like the teeth, eye, toenails, and horns.  The tail is made out of butcher paper with a small triangle of cardboard at the tip.  The light green parts that are covering the car, the tail tip, and on the inside of the wing are plastic table cloths!  If you ever need to decorate a large area of something, USE THESE!!!  They are ubber cheap and you can find them in any color.  Anyways, with this project we figured it would be better to decorate only one side and just have the other side facing away from everyone.  We got some great comments on it, especially since our costumes went so well with it.

This year, I think we've decided to be pirates and our car a pirate ship!  Check back in November for a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment