Saturday, October 13, 2012

Scrapbooking for others

I LOVE to scrapbook.  Unfortunately I don't get much time to do so.  I also like to scrapbook for other people.  Most of my gifts, whether they are wedding, baby, or birthday are albums that I've scrapbooked for people to out pictures in.  I'm one album behind (my older sister's wedding album; she was married in March!) simply because I haven't had the desire.  Now that we have a baby on the way I am starting to feel "creative" again.  Especially since, in a perfect world, I would love to have one completed for the baby when it arrives.  But, of course, I digress from the topic.  I love scrapbooking for others so much that I even tried to start a business with it.  I ordered business cards, created a flyer, and started getting my name out there.  Unfortunately, no one understands what goes into making a scrapbook.  Those things take TONS of time to complete and quite a bit of money,  
     What exactly goes into making a scrapbook?  Imagine you have just gotten married and want all your wedding photos put into a custom scrapbook.  You have 200 photos.  The average scrapbook page consists of 3 photos, some imbellishments (these are the brads, flowers, swirls, and do-dads that go on the page), journaling about what is happening in the picture(s) or a backstory for the picture(s), and a title.  All of these have to be the right color, style, and size to be able to look right on the one page.  That one page can take anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple hours.  So if you wanted all those wedding photos put into an album it would be 66 pages and could take anywhere from 16.5 hours to 132 hours.  Now don't forget, we have lives outside of creating your scrapbook!  We have houses to clean, kids to tend to, husbands that need our attention, and other friends and family to spend time with.  The point is, that we love spending time on you, we just don't have all the time in the world to do it.  
     Then there's the subject of cost.  First of all, all scrapbooks are created using special paper.  Sometimes just the right color or pattern of paper can cost over a dollar per sheet!  And it's always so much better to use more than just one pattern or color of paper on one page.  Then there's the embellishments.  Every page needs some sort of embellishment, whether it's a button to dot an "i" or a cute little giraffe on a baby page.  Sometimes those can cost up to $5 each!  Then there's the need for recoloring photos and having them printed using either our own printers (the cost of ink is usually factored in here) or another service (walmart photo center) which is at least $.09 per picture.  As you can see, doing this for others is NOT cheap, but for some reason, it's expected to be.  When someone asks me what I would charge to do a scrapbook and I tell them, I never hear from them again.  I take less than $40 profit off of one album.  Just making one for a gift for someone costs me at least $100.  However, If you're wanting to pay me to make you one it will exceed your expectations.  
     In any case, don't expect a custom scrapbook album to be cheap if you're looking into it.  But if you're serious, let me know!  I'd LOVE to create something you'll cherish for years to come!  A scrapbook about your life can be passed down through generations and your great-great grandchildren could know more about you than they ever would have if you didn't have one done!  They are great discussion pieces if laid out on a coffee table and it's great to sit and laugh at the pictures with family and friends!  I've created so many for my family to keep and look at when I'm gone.  I'm so glad to know my life will not go unnoticed!

No comments:

Post a Comment