As stated on a previous post, I am using a midwife for my prenatal care for my first pregnancy. I chose a midwife named Mary who I felt a deep connection with. It's important to have a connection with whomever you wish to care for you on this important journey. You want to have someone taking care of you that has the same viewpoints and beliefs that you have so there isn't any tension between you and your care-giver. My husband and I chose Mary through an interview process. I always thought it would be a little weird interviewing people to take care of me and my unborn baby. Anyways, she came to our house and spent about an hour and a half telling us about herself and answering any questions we had for her. What helped me to decide that I wanted her to go through this journey with us was the fact that, after she was done telling us about herself, she had already answered 99% of the questions I had typed out and ready to ask her! Also, she just has such a calming nature about her and easily helps me to calm down when I have a question about something or am worried for one reason or another.
I wanted to let you know what midwives do during a typical appointment. However, I've only had one because I'm not that far along in my pregnancy (approx 8 weeks). So I'll just tell you what went on at this last appointment. All appointments are at our home which is wonderful! This time she brought with her an assistant, Jessica. Jessica works as a neonatal nurse at the best hospital in the city, which makes me so happy that she'll be at the our birth. They figured out my due date, which is a very rough guess due to the irregular cycles I've had all my life. They talked to both my husband and I about the water-birth process and some of the things we need to expect. Of course, we also signed some paperwork and discussed cost. This was a MAJOR issue to my husband and I because we don't have health insurance. She gave us a small list of things we would need to supply for the birth such as towels that can be thrown away. Most of the things we need to provide we either already have or can be bought at the dollar store. She also had me lay down and she felt my abdomen to see if she could feel the baby yet. She said she could and tried to help us feel it also but I couldn't feel anything yet. She also answered any questions that we had. My urine was checked for glucose and protein, both were negative thankfully. I also had my blood pressure checked which came out normal. Apparently it was a short appointment. In later appointments she will be teaching us about labor and delivery and all the things you'd expect to learn in a birthing class. I can't wait until we get started with that!
I did have some restrictions put on me because of my previous miscarriage. I'm not allowed to lift things and turn, like what you would do putting groceries into the trunk of a car. I was also told I wasn't allowed to have intercourse until after the 13th week, just to be on the safe side. Better safe than sorry! Just in general I need to take it easy. Being a youth minister's wife this isn't very easy, especially when we're trying to keep our pregnancy a secret until we've hit the 2nd trimester. Anyways, It's pretty much the same thing that goes on at an appointment in a doctor's office from what I can tell except I'm not required to do all those prenatal tests. Honestly, being a Christian, I don't see the point in them. It's not like I'm going to get an abortion if my child has down syndrome. I will love my child no matter what kind of problems they have and will not deny them the right to live. OK, ranting aside, I will let you know how my next appointment goes, but that won't be for another 2 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment